You might already know that dairy products (such as milk, yogurt and cheese) help kids develop strong bones, but they also provide several other health benefits that you may not be aware of. You’ll want to start giving your kids their daily dairy after reading this.
- Dairy is hydrating! Research shows that milk (or lactose free milk alternatives) can replace fluids lost throughout the day and help with recovery after exercise. Did you know that our bodies are made up of about 60% water? Your children need to stay hydrated and milk can help! Can’t drink milk? Try lactose-free milk or soymilk with added calcium.
- Dairy helps maintain a healthy weight for you and your kids. The myth that dairy causes weight gain couldn’t be further from the truth. Science says dairy may actually help us maintain a healthy weight when consumed as part of a balanced diet. It may be the nutrients in milk, such as calcium and protein, help keep us full throughout the day and can help with cravings.
- Dairy prevents tooth decay. Nutrition and oral health go together! Not only is brushing and flossing important, but eating the daily recommended servings of dairy can help protect tooth enamel. The protein in milk (called casein) forms a thin layer around the teeth and helps protect the teeth from harmful foods (such as sugary drinks).
- Dairy helps to reduce risk for type 2 diabetes. Research shows that those people who include plenty of dairy in their diets are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes. But be sure to choose low-fat or non-fat dairy products. High fat dairy milk products, such as whole milk and cheese, do not have this same effect.
- Dairy helps to reduce risk for heart disease. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. It’s thought that the nutrients in dairy may lower blood pressure and reduce the heart disease risk. To get the full benefit of dairy, choose low-fat or non-fat dairy products.
Milk and dairy are important every day. Milk and dairy give your kids important nutrients they need to stay healthy!
Have more questions about diary? Want to try some tasty dairy recipes? Visit us at Rethinkyourdrinknevada.com